China - Death's End - Liu Cixin

China - Death's End - Liu Cixin

There was no pause between putting The Dark Forest and picking up Death's end. I was excited to see where the story went and how it could possibly end. I was slight worried as Death's End had the same translator as The Three-Body Problem and found the translators footnotes a little distracting. But footnotes were very infrequent and only used to explain nuances in the Chinese language and puns that only work in Chinese, so in this book they did add to the depth of the writing style.

I was also concerned that the previous two books slowly built up to introducing new concepts and jaw dropping moments. But this book was packed with full blow WTF moments chapter after chapter. Also the chapter were much shorter in this book. I think shorter chapters always engage me more. I think; "that was only a short chapter, I'll read another one". I read this book faster than each of the two prior books even though this book was much longer. I didn't just pick up this book for 30 minutes in bed before nodding off, I went to bed an hour early so I could read more of it!

The concepts in the third book were just as incredible as the rest of the books in the series, and concepts brought up in the first and second book were neatly tied up also. The third book was outstanding. It is one of my favorite Sci-fi books of all time. It is quite a commitment of time and effort to read all three of the books, and you really can't read them out of sequence or just pick a single book to read. 

It is this series of books that inspired me to expand my reading of Sci-fi to authors outside of England and USA. I quickly realised when looking at my bookshelves, that the cultural heritage of the authors were predominately English and American. Am I missing out on an entire world of Sci-fi? Let's find out!