China - The Dark Forest - Liu Cixin

The Dark Forest - Liu Cixin

After the fast paced finale of The Three-Body Problem it was a little frustrating for the second book in the series to slow things back down, and retell parts of the first book from different view points. But the story really started to pick up pace in the second half, introducing some amazing concepts once again.

I was totally hooked on the second book and massively invested in the fate of the earth and the alien civilisation. At this point there was no way I wasn't going to buy the third and final book and have it lined up to start as soon as I finished book number 2.

The translators footnotes were not as frequent in the book either, which I (wrongly) assumed was due to a different translator. However one of the translators footnotes pointed out that 2 of the characters were talking about a fictional character. The translator pointed out the fictional characters were referencing a commander in a Japanese series of books called Legend of the Galactic Heroes which I put on my wish list for the family Secret Santa (gratefully my Secret Santa purchased me the first 2 books in the series).

As soon as the book finished it was straight onto Death's End for the final instalment of this epic saga.