Namibia - Binti - Nnedi Okorafor

Namibia - Binti - Nnedi Okorafor

  Technically Nnedi is American, but her heritage is Namibian, and the book is hugely based on African culture and geography, so I'm putting this, and other books by Nnedi, under Namibia. 

This is the first sci fi book I've read which is based on African culture and characters and it just great to read something new and different. I really enjoyed the references to certain cultures and rituals even though it's set in a very futuristic earth. 


The book had some great ideas and concepts, but, for me, the book was a little light on 'sci fi' and more of a coming of age book. However, Binti, the main character was very likeable and had great depth. I really enjoyed the book and are going to move straight on the next books in the trilogy (and the bonus book too).